Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The Invisible Red Thread


An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet regardless of time, place or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle but it will never break.

I doubt that anybody who has had more than a passing involvement in adoption - especially international adoption - doesn't know about The Invisible Red Thread. Many adoptive parents seem to like the idea that they are destined to be united with their child. However, I have read that some adopted children dislike the concept very much(1).

Were we connected to Caroline by a Red Thread?

Answering this question pretty rapidly gets into the deep and (to me) unanswerable question about why the universe works as it does. Do things happen because they are destined to happen? Is the Universe a great clockwork engine built by the Supreme Craftsman that will run exactly as He designed it, with people nothing more than automata? Or does God simply decree all of our actions from moment to moment in the way that a chess player decrees where his pieces move on the board? Or could it be that God, who sees and knows all things, simply gives a little nudge here and there so that people act and events unfold in the manner of His choosing? Or does He just sit back and let things go of their own accord?

And what about the other people in her life to this point? Her biological parents? The policeman who found her? The social workers in China who have handled her case? Her doctor? Her foster parents? Did God connect them to her by their own Red Threads?

I don't know.

What I DO know is that for this child I prayed; and the Lord hath given me my petition which I asked of Him(2).

Thanks be to God.

===

(1) Notably the blog "Red Thread Broken"

http://redthreadbroken.wordpress.com/

(2) I Samuel 1:27

No comments:

Post a Comment